Day 1 - My Second Home

Hi everyone! I decided to keep my art blog as my personal blog since I don't want handle another blog account. I am currently in HK now for a 5-month internship. I will try my best to at least have a quick post everyday just so that all of my loved ones will be updated about me (and also to avoid the repeating kwentos I have to make, haha).

So here is Day 1! I was too tired yesterday when my mom and I came back at my flat, so this is the summary of our day yesterday. :)



My forever stage mom (not complaining at all) is accompanying me in my first week in HK. (Not so independent yet!)

IMG_2733

Here are my lovely friends from AIESEC Hong Kong, Vivian (left) and Goby (right). I am so thankful for their kindness and patience with me, with all of my questions and whatnot. Vivian is the one who helped all throughout my matching with the school here and with my visa application (and my sudden outburst of hormones while waiting for my visa). I love this girl big time! Goby, on the other hand, is my new found friend. I see myself so much in her. She is so funny! And I can't wait to meet her helper who is a local from Pampanga. I want sinigang soon!!! :D

IMG_2737

Here is my first meal in HK at Time Square, Nanjing Style Beef with Vegetable Rice Set. I knew that almost everything in HK is more expensive than in the Philippines. But this serving is waaaay more than enough for me. We usually have a cup of rice in the PH, but here in HK I noticed that they serve with a big bowl of rice!

Anyway, I wasn't able to take a photo of my mom's dish but it was Drunken Chicken. I was sitting across her and I can immediately smell the aroma of alcohol from her dish! True enough, you can actually taste the alcohol in it which tastes like emperador! Hahaha! Goby says that is how it really is and that she actually likes it very much. Maybe that's the way it should done because back in the PH, you can hardly taste the alcohol in it. Haha!

IMG_2741

Here we are exploring my second home for the next 5 months, Causeway Bay. We weren't able to go around much because I personally got tired from all the walking and canvassing of flats (which are both at the 5th floor with no elevator!). Flats here in HK are super duper mega expensive. My rent fee can already rent a condo unit in the PH with a parking slot, hahaha! But oh well, I am grateful enough with what I have and where I am. I wasn't able to take a picture of my flat because I was really too tired already. But I think HK is a good practice for Filipinos not to be dependent on tricycles, jeeps, or buses that stop wherever you like regardless of the hassle it causes to the other cars behind! :D

IMG_2754

Since the food serving here is more than what we can handle, my mom shared in this yummy dinner, Porkchop with Tomato Sauce. Who would have guessed that porkchop and tomato saucce go well together?! We also ordered spring roll in the fear that they don't allow customers to share food, haha! The moment we went inside, we were directed to a table with another customer. So I told my mom that I guess it is safe to share food because you have to share a table with the other customers when the others are full already. Of course we didn't mind it. I controlled myself not to ask questions and make friends with the lady across us while waiting for food, nahihiya pa ako. :D

Anyway, mom and I have another blooper moment. We didn't order any drinks because we only want to have house water. Upon calling the waitress, I asked for water. But since not everyone in HK doesn't speak English, I also pointed out the glass of water of the lady in front of me, just to make sure she
gets me. When the waitress came back with two glasses of water, she said, "Careful. Very hot." And oh my, it was really steaming hot! I really regret this, but my mom and I can't help but laugh as silent as possible. We were really thirsty already and we didn't know that the default temperature of the drinks here is hot. Haha! We ordered an iced lemon tea later on because we really can't drink from our very very hot water. But after were we done with our dinner, and boy did I eat a lot, our hot water bacame warm which gave us a soothing feel after a hefty meal. May purpose naman! :D

IMG_2759

My mom and I went to what seems like Daiso where majority of the items are 12 HKD. So here is my winning purchase of the day, toilet seat cover! Hahaha! I am pretty much a cowgirl, but there are things that I am really maarte about so I am so glad I found this gem!

Today, my mom and I will go to Macau in the hope that when I get back to HK my visa will be validated already by the immigration. We are just waiting for my other flatmates, a boy and a girl French, to use our communal bathroom since they might need to go to work.

Hopefully, I will have time to blog about our day tonight if again I am not too tired to do so.

Missing everyone,
Kim :)

2 comments:

  1. Congratz on your first day in HK. You're really d best in telling your story hahaha... Reading your lines felt i was actually there witnessing whats happening... For sure you will enjoy your 5 months stay there... but your original plan was Singapore right? anyways.... Im happy for you keemee... extend my regards to tita Kat.... miss her too... siguradong rak n roll kayong dalawa dyan ngyon sa Hong Kong ... stay coll dude...

    ReplyDelete