Day 15 - Living and Working in a First World Country

It had been so-called raining today. It was actually a shier version of drizzle in the Philippines because the drops were so tiny but quite a lot. So it was actually like many babies playing with their saliva above you. :|

Today, my desk at the office was very messy as well as my hands- THANK GOD. It was about time they figured out that I'm on the crafty side and they gave me all these crafty jobs. My butt was already burning sitting all day in front of the computer. I badly needed to be dirty... ( :| again)

Being a trained "resourceful" teacher, I make sure that I just maximize whatever the school has and not ask them to buy anything. So when I am faced with cabinets full of art materials, I just scream with excitement inside. And when I do tell them that we are running out of this and that- KACHING! They'll buy it instantly. Of course they still have a system but still, woooow. I felt limitless doing my first artwork in the school and they were happy with what I did, and my boss said, "You seem pretty good at this." I hope it's synonymous to "You can NOT do lesson plans anymore." Haha! I wasn't able to take a photo though because I try not to bring out my camera inside the school because they seem strict about it. Just visualize this- a career-mode 3D bird mask (yes, with all the feathers and all that jazz).

I also met our new intern today at work, a fellow AIESECer from Denmark. So get this picture, everyday I am surrounded by people who have thick Danish, Irish, Chinese/Cantonese accents. I know myself so well that I easily assimilate mannerisms from people and even their accents. When I was in college, I had several Fil-Chi friends who have distinct Tagalog accent. Also, being in college, at least in La Salle, also means getting surrounded by people from different provinces who have specific verbs that are different from Tagalog. So after three years in college and living in Taft, my Tagalog was so bad. My high school friends would often laugh at my accent and get weirded out with the words that I use. And when I started teaching, I had been constantly watching makeup gurus in YouTube, specifically the British ones, and I just unknowingly say "out" in an awkward British accent in front of my students. So now... I don't know what mixed-up language I will speak when I get home.

So since it was still rainy on my way home, the people, as expected, suddenly multiplied almost everywhere I go. But I really felt where the taxes of the people here are going. I seldom see the staff of the MTR, but today they were stationed in every entrances and exits of the stations and in front of the train doors. They rerouted the passageways for better accommodation of the numerous people. They physically but kindly restrain the people from overcrowding the train. In short, THERE WAS SYSTEM. My secret dream job is to work in the Transportation Department of the Philippines. I don't really complain about something I cannot give a sound suggestion to so I really want to study why and how the hell our transport system is a big mess. I can go on and on, but yeah you get the point- baby saliva freaks people out. Kidding aside, while I was thinking all these on my way home, I absentmindedly went out to the wrong MTR exit, haha! I completely zoned out but good thing I wasn't that far yet when I realized I am in the wrong place.

I wanted something yummy to eat... very badly. I regret not buying rice though because this Steamed Garlic Spareribs reminds me so much of Filipino dishes but I actually haven't tried this before, haha! Weird, right?! It's like a tame Bicol Express. :) It looks like the saddest dish in the world, but yumyumyum!



Of course I was still hungry and I was still craving for something sweet. Luckily, I have this! I am not sure if only Filipinos do this or if the kids today still do this. But I bet many would agree with me that this is a childhood habit that is hard to break!


Privileged but still humble,
Kim :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment